Do you want to know a bit more about the team at the University of Waterloo? From their location in Waterloo, to team accomplishments, and even a company that evolved from skills and experiences learned from AVTCs, here are five unique things about UWAFT:
- Our team spans over two universities – The University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University. Located down the street from each other, this relationship is a match made in heaven with Waterloo’s strong engineering team and Laurier’s knowledgeable business students. While the two universities often compete in athletics, the UWAFT partnership is a great example of how two academic institutions in a close proximity can work together to create excellent results.
- UWAFT is one of two Canadian teams participating in the EcoCAR competition. Located in Waterloo, Ontario, our team represents our innovative roots through participation in EcoCAR.
- Our team at the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University is located within an area of Ontario known as ‘Silicon Valley North’, which has a very high concentration of startups in the small geographic area. This unique distinction has brought a lot of attention to the area lately, due to startup successes and the tendency toward excellent innovations.
- UWAFT Alumni created Crosschasm, a company which consults with businesses and individuals on how to optimize their fuel efficiency based on different factors. After a first place win during the four-year ChallengeX competition, Crosschasm was created with skills learned during the challenge.
- In 2005, the UWAFT team created the first student-built roadworthy passenger fuel cell vehicle, also during the ChallengeX competition. This vehicle had a hydrogen fuel cell and was responsible for a first place win in that year of the competition.
Categories: Meet the Students