The University of Tennessee, Knoxville EcoCAR 3 team shares tips to be more environmentally friendly in the car. Try to incorporate them all into your driving habits and do your part to help the environment!
- Don’t speed. Gas mileage decreases significantly above 60 mph.
- Avoid putting the pedal to the metal. Rapid acceleration draws more fuel and kills your gas mileage.
- Don’t idle. Sitting in an idling car does nothing but waste gasoline and send nasty emissions in to the atmosphere.
- Check your tires. Flat, unaligned or unbalanced tires are a quick way to kill your MPG. Remember to check your tires and get new ones when needed.
- Splurge for the nicer engine oil. Oil with friction-reducing solutions can really help your engine glide.
- Travel light. The lighter your vehicle, the less power your engine will have to produce to move it. So clean out your car every once in a while, but don’t litter!
- Carpool. Gather up the neighbors and your friends and carpool to work or school.
- Swap your wheels. Dust off that bike and take it for a spin. If you own a bike and are in close proximity to your school or office you should definitely consider taking it instead of your car.
Categories: Under the Hood