The University of Waterloo Alternative Fuels Team (UWAFT) was established in 1996 as one of only a few student design teams on campus. Originally located in a small garage in the university's physics building, a group of engineering students wanted to make a difference. They had a passion for cars, designing, building and driving them, but they also had awareness of environmental consequences. Realizing that one day, oil and gas will become scarce and that the vehicles we all use would have to adapt. Thus began the search for a viable alternative fuel that could power the cars of the 21st century.
- 1996-1997: Propane Vehicle Challenge
- 1996-1999: FutureCar
- 1997-1999: Ethanol Vehicle Challenge
- 1999-2004: FutureTruck
- 2004-2008: ChallengeX: Crossover to Sustainable Mobilty
- 2008-2011: EcoCAR: The NeXt Challenge
- 2011-2014: EcoCAR 2: Plugging In to the Future